Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Person: Liz

No one calls her Elizabeth but "Liz" just didn't look right in the picture so that's that.
In my head I refer to Liz as her first and last name, but as I don't want the whole wide world knowing her deats, I'm not using her full name here and it is irking me real hard.  So I think I might make up a last name for her for this post.  OH HOW ABOUT BENNET?  Thanks, Jane.  

Liz Bennet and I met when we were nerds in our university's student association.  We were senators, and this kid neither of us talk to anymore said we'd get along and so we sat next to each other and shared Swedish Fish and the rest is history, as they say.  (But really, how could sharing Swedish Fish not force a bond?  Liz could be an ahole and I'd still be her friend because Swedish Fish are just that good.)

She also just logged off of Facebook even though I have more things to tell her.  What a B. 

I have different kinds of friends.  There are the ones I've known since childhood, some I enjoy hanging out with but will probably never think of as family, and there are the select few that I really grew up with.  Like, we met when we were quasi-adults but pretty much still teenagers and we've navigated this whole becoming an adult thing together.  Liz is one of those friends.  I think we've seen each other become ourselves (I mean, we're still in the process, but you know) and that's amazing when you think about it.  Or at least I think it is.  I mean, being along for the ride while your friend figures out who she is?  Gah, teary-eyed. 


Liz Bennet is like, I don't know.  Quirky?  She talks with her hands like no other.  And her facial expressions are on point.  I haven't tried, but I could probably have a full conversation with Liz without her verbally uttering a single syllable.  She is that expressive.  It's great.  

I just decided that Liz Bennet is now Liz's actual new nickname. 

Liz is all accomplished now.  She's got this job that she is very into and she's doing awesome things with it, such as publishing this report (!!!!!!!!!!).  It's a lot of fun to watch.  She is doing the whole being-an-adult-living-life-well thing like a boss.  In Grey's Anatomy, Cristina and Meredith are getting over a fight they had when Meredith, who is clearly happy that Cristina is achieving her goals (because duh, they're BFFs, of course she's happy for her), says, "I'm so jealous of you I want to set things on fire."  I have bad luck and if I lit something on fire I'd probably just end up burning myself or suffering from smoke inhalation but let's just say I'm the Meredith to Liz's Cristina.  (More happy than jealous though.  Because like, we're not in the same field.) 

Now that I am thinking about it, we totally could be Meredith and Cristina.  I mean, they are called the twisted sisters.  We've also compared ourselves to Lorelai and Sookie before.  

It's sickening how accurate this is. 
Liz and I are similar.  Like, very similar.  In fact, ten minutes ago we were talking on Facebook and it turns out that we had just been doing the same things (reading the same article, browsing the same website) and she asked if we share a brain.  Sometimes, I think we might.  We both are into books, want to have our own libraries in our houses, go to bed fairly early, enjoy Say Yes to the Dress and Gilmore Girls entirely too much.  No, just kidding, there's no such thing as enjoying GG too much.

We both love food.  Usually, I don't like talking about or eating too much junk food when I'm with friends who are very thin (good confidence levels over here), but Liz is the exception.  She and I text each other when we eat McDonalds or buy a box of donuts at the store.  If I looked at all 40,000 of our fb messages, I think I'd conclude that we talk about food more than anything.  Liz Bennet is the only person who doesn't judge me (and actually, who agrees!) when I say that Taco Bell is helpful when you're recovering from sickness.  Unless it's a headache sitch, in which case, go get yourself chicken nuggets and a Coke from McD's. 

She's a fairly good person.  Liz has this phobia/hatred of throwing up, and yet when I called her this one time when I was incredibly sick, she brought me bananas and ginger ale.  What a fucking friend, am I right?  (I swear, Liz, I didn't even think of that fact that you hate throw up when I called you that day.  My bad, bro, my bad.)  I'm told she basically boiled her hands after touching the doorknob.  Again, quite the friend.  

As similar as we are, we also want totally different things in life.  Liz has dreams of travel and incredible career goals and I'm over here like, omg I want to get married and have kids.  She's endured many an "I'm going to end up alone with 700 cats" rants and only sometimes looks at me like I'm crazy when I say my ovaries hurt whenever we see a baby or something.  For real, some of my friends super judge when I talk about wanting that kind of life, but Liz does not.  At least not maliciously.  She'll say I'm nuts, but it's usually lovingly.  I think slash hope.  I think the fact that we want such different things but feel totally comfortable talking about them to each other is proof of how strong our relationship is.  Good friendship, man.  

Any concept of boundaries is pretty much nonexistent with us.  We looked at pictures of my uterus and ovaries while eating dinner one night like it was no big thang.  Neither of us have a problem telling the other about bodily functions, let's say.  If one of us is sick (neither of us get an A on the health situation), we usually don't hesitate to give the other very specific, detailed descriptions of symptoms.  It's gross and great.  It's so nice to have a human to talk to about certain things instead of having to google it since you're too embarrassed to ask a friend.  Hell to the no.  

I talk to Liz more than I talk to anyone (poor thing).  I sent her a message earlier because it was so weird that we hadn't talked in over 12 hours.  I cannot decide if this is cute or pathetic, but it is.  And that's nice.    

We've been friends for around four-ish years, but I think the fact that we always get the same results on Buzzfeed quizzes indicates that we can plan on being friends for that x20 more years, for sure.  (Ugh, it's gonna be a long life. ;)

Can you feel the love?
xoxo.

__
Charlotte




No comments:

Post a Comment