Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Nickname-able

My name, obviously, is Charlotte.  

It's unclear what my full first name is, though.  On some birth-related documents, "Charlotte Patricia" is listed as my first name with "Anne" (with an e ;) as my middle, others have "Charlotte" as my first name with "Patricia Anne" as my middle name.  My family, including my parents, aren't clear on this either.  (How?  I don't know.)  

Of course, Charlotte is what I normally go by.  As a kid I badly wanted a nickname because I'm named after someone, so I was always called "Little Charlotte" or "Baby Charlotte."  Alas, I never had a real nickname.  

That said, there are a lot of names I answer to.    

"Char" and "Charl" are used frequently, but neither are nicknames so much as shortened for ease.  (Like "Em" when addressing an Emily or "Cher" when talking to a Cheryl.) 

"CP" is used occasionally, for Charlotte Patricia.  It was used much more often in my pre-college years.

"Charlotte Patricia" is used by certain friends.  Especially Olivia and Stephanie.  I think they just like the sound of it.  I actually like it, too, but it's so long and cumbersome that I never refer to myself as this.  Stephanie swears I introduced myself as this, but I have no recollection of doing so.  (Maybe I did in an attempt to get away from the "Baby Charlotte" dilemma?)

"Char Patty" was used for a bit while I was in school and... I don't miss it. 

I had an uncle who genuinely thought my name was "Scarlet" and........ no one ever corrected him.

I'm also called "Red" frequently (my hair).  

Olivia calls me "Charlie" a lot.  Others have used it, but she does so consistently.  

"Char Char" is used by two friends, but again, not exclusively.  (As in, they call me Charlotte, but sometimes fondly [I think?] go with this instead.) 

In fifth grade - and I know this because a few years ago I looked at my old yearbook and the notes were almost all addressed with it - I was, apparently, called "Chestnut."  I'm not mad that this moniker didn't last. 

For a while, "Charla" was huuuuge.  I'm indifferent to it, but no one really calls me this anymore.

*Edited to add* "Sippee" - Liz read this post and decided she's calling me "Sippee," like for "CP."  She then asked me if I get it, so I'm assuming she wants to know if you, dear reader, also get it?  C-P, Si-ppee.  

And because everyone's got a sense of humor, I'm called "Annie" from time to time: 

Source
Rant: There are different shades of red hair and mine is not the same as orphan Annie's and, STOP CALLING ME THIS. 

Also, I get called "Red Headed Step Child" too often for my liking and while it's fine now, as a kid I hated it because, uh, I was a red headed step child.  So. 

BUT those are the main variations of Charlotte and Charlotte Patricia that people have used for me.

Other nicknames I've heard used for Charlotte are Lottie, Harley, Arlo (in the trend of using boy nicks for girls), and Carla/Carly.  Of those, I like "Lottie" best.

I'm always a fan of hearing new nicknames!

__
Charlotte 




No comments:

Post a Comment