Tuesday, November 17, 2015

link love

Spotted this scary Dumbledore look alike nut cracker the other day...
So this post is a little late. Things have been rough lately. Hopefully I can start posting a little more regularly this/next week.

Here are some good links from around the web:

I hate to admit this, but I got one question wrong on this Harry Potter quiz! Dammit, Moaning Myrtle!

If you remember wondering how you'd have acted if you were alive during WWII, maybe you should check out these old stats about American public opinion on whether or not we should have accepted Jewish refugees as Hitler's power was growing. And then think about where you stand on the issue of allowing Syrian refugees here today...

It took me a while, but I think I've finally hopped on the Adele bandwagon.

Loved, loved, loved this post about being a real writer and developing good writing habits. We have to know and admit our own tendencies if we're going to be good at anything, ever.

I was intrigued by the ideas posed in this article, too. Here:
My point here is that a lack of women in the world’s top-paid positions does not necessarily reflect poorly on us. It may very well be evidence of a certain intelligence, perspective, or clarity in which women excel. So, when the next statistic comes out telling us that women and men are doing things differently, instead of simply assuming that women are being arbitrarily held back from living a full masculine life, how about we consider that, just maybe, we women are on to something. Then we’d start to see some balance in our news coverage, more equality between the sexes, and, dare I say, more true feminism at work.
(I do feel the need to say, though, that I do think women are often being held back. But I also think there's truth to the differences of values and goals.)

Most of my readers (hey Liz) are from Albany, and most have been to protests demanding justice for Donald Ivy, a black man killed by police. I liked this article and particularly this quote:
What kind of world would it be if no one said that Dontay's death was an outrage? What if the only visible story was the one that says police killing people of color is okay? We couldn't prevent them from killing Dontay, but we prevented them from killing his story. His life matters; his death matters. 
Did you see this moving post from a person who lost their cousin in the Paris attacks?

This is my current favorite song. Damn.

Smiled my way through most of this article about secrets of being an astronaut. (Enjoyed this post that was shared with me about the requirements of becoming an astronaut, as well.)  

This theory of Spongebob's relation to capitalism is just slightly terrifying. (As is, now that I'm looking at it, that URL.)

Black kids are being threatened and white kids are riding around in pick-up trucks screaming obscenities and yet still, people insist racism is over.

Just adored these ideas for map-related DIY projects. Just wondered when I became someone who says things like "just adore."

Praying for the family of this man who sacrificed himself to stop a suicide bomber.

I'm trying to eat healthier so I really appreciated these healthy chicken recipes (slow cooker! 7 meals cooked in one day! yes!) Speaking of health, I've been trying to master some of these habits myself.

Hilarious reasons to not vaccinate your kids (hint: you don't like them, anyway).

Optimism is good, but there's a limit. Telling kids they can do or be or have anything they want might be problematic.

I'll probably share this on FC too, but I love books and I like wine so this list of book/wine pairings was EVER SO HELPFUL.

My friend wrote this really great post. You should check it out.

I need this kid to be my life coach.

If you believe in spirits and demons and angels, maybe give this a read.


And finally, I really loved (and needed) this post about how it's okay to be miserable.

I think that's all for this week's post.
__
Charlotte

No comments:

Post a Comment