Thursday, December 3, 2015

Some of My Favorite Books


Sorry about the hiatus. I know I said in my last post that I'd be posting more regularly... but then there were car accident injuries and grandparents in ICU and family staying at the house and well, not much time for blogging, unfortunately. Fingers crossed that things really will be calmer now!

Liz and I were recently talking about books, as we are wont to do. We were thinking about how different the sound of "fifteen books" and the feel of "fifteen books" are - as in, 15 books doesn't sound like all that much! But when you're reading book after book, 15 books a year feels like a lot, especially when it's on top of work and school and other life things. (Same with donuts. No, just kidding, not the same.)

Anyway, this got me reflecting a bit on my own reading goals. This year I set out to read more than I normally do, and I think I was pretty successful! I've read over 30 books and we've still got a month to go! I won't lie, I really want to get to a point where I'm reading between 40 and 50 books a year. And I think now would be a good time to develop the reading habits necessary to do so. I usually lay in bed early in the morning and late at night, very tired but unable to fall asleep. If I spent even some of that time reading, I could probably double the number of books I read. Late last night I glanced at the list of books I've read this year (I'll share it here as we near January), and thought it'd be fun to make a list of all of my favorite books, whether I've read them this year or not. 

1. The entire Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling 

Of course. I think it's high time I write a post on all the reasons I love HP so, so much, so I won't go too deep into that now. But some main reasons: Rowling does a wonderful job of creating a good vs evil story, and her view of evilness as something that is built, not born, is something I dig. Her themes of love, friendship, and sacrifice are damn near tangible, and her characters are wonderful. There is so much to love about HP. 


2. The Twelve Tribes of Hattie by Ayana Mathis

Some of the best writing I've encountered, ever. A lot of today's writers create terrific stories, but don't fuss over the writing itself. Mathis is not one of those writers. It was a pleasure to read something by an author who hasn't forgotten about literary tools like imagery and voice. The story itself is a beautiful but sad one, about a woman raising her children - and those children as adults - in a world that puts you down if you're black and if you're poor. Not only was it a good read, but it's an important one, as well.


3. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

Well, I love everything I've read by Tolkien so far. (I've been thinking I'd like to read the Lord of the Rings trilogy again!) But The Hobbit especially sticks with me, and I'm very fond of it. I remember having the most amazing dreams every night while I was reading it, haha. Like all of his work, the themes are terrific, but it was just so fun and exciting, too. I've gotten more into fantasy and adventure as I've gotten older, and I think Tolkien might have something to do with it. 

      
4. Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay

I won't pretend that this book belongs up there with the likes of Tolkien, as far as good literature goes. Sarah's Key is well written, for sure, but it isn't spectacular writing. The writing itself never left me breathless. That said, the story was one I couldn't put down. Part mystery, part historical fiction, part marital-strife, I can't really imagine anyone not liking this book. We learn the story of Sarah, a Jewish girl who lived during the Holocaust, as present-day journalist Julia unravels a mystery. It's gut-wrenching, to be sure, but there are glimpses of hope throughout, and Rosnay does a good job of dragging us in so that we just must keep reading. I've seen some folks say it's good, though not as good as The Book Thief. Having read both, I feel the opposite. The Book Thief was a very good book, but I thought it took a rather long time to really get going. Sarah's Key is the opposite. It's fast paced the entire length of the novel. It's been years since I've read it, and it still sticks with me as one of the better books I've read. 

     
5. Better Than Before: Mastering the Habits of Our Everyday Lives by Gretchen Rubin

I will never, ever, ever stop singing Gretchen Rubin's praises. I've read a fair few self-help books and NONE, NOT ONE can compare to Rubin's books. There are books out there that offer words of inspiration, sure. That's nice, but warm quotes will only take you so far. And then there are books that are scarily apt at describing the sad state of my life and/or mood, but fail to give good advice for change. By far the best, and I mean absolute best, self-help book I've read is Rubin's Better Than Before (naturally, a close second is her previous book, The Happiness Project). Rubin digs into research and experimentation to provide actually helpful advice. Not only that, but she went so far as to develop a framework so that every person who reads it can see what kind of person they are, and then decide which bits of guidance and advice is best for them. It's amazing. Literally anyone can benefit from her books. It's like tailored advice. I'm planning to give it a re-read since there are some more habits I'm trying to change. I'd recommend it to anyone trying to grow or change or form habits.


6. Love Walked In by Marisa de los Santos 

Okay, so, the writing itself isn't exceptional, but it's a sweet, intriguing, fairly quick read, and everyone can enjoy one of those. It centers around a woman and her various relationships - romantic, familial, friendly. And a little kid "walks in" to her life, changing things up a bit. I won't lie, the ending pissed me off a bit (I remember feeling that the little girl in the story got gypped), but otherwise, I enjoyed the story. It was just a warm book that offered lots of sweet quotes, and it always comes to mind when I try and think of my favorite books. 


7. The Tsar of Love and Techno by Anthony Marra

Ahhhhh! I just finished this book and it is just out of this world. I reviewed it over on Filthy Casket last night, so you can go check that out. It has everything a good book ought to: great narrative, suspense, terrific writing, and so much more. I rarely buy hardcover books (I like hardcover books, I just don't like the $10 extra dollars they cost...), but if you're looking for a good read, go make the splurge. It is worth every dime. It gave me chills more than once. I won't be surprised if kids are reading this book as part of their curriculum one day.


8. A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn

I read this in my high school social studies class and basically I bow down to those teachers who insisted we read this and all but ignoring the assigned textbook. It was the first book to really make me question everything we had learned about history, government, politics, and the economy up until that point. Instead of the happy, shiny, "'merica" we're all used to hearing about, Zinn gave us the true stories of our history. Totally eye-opening. Everyone should read this book.


9. In the Time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez 

I read this book a few years ago, and I still think of it often. It's the story of the Mirabal sisters, who fought against a dictatorship in the Dominican Republican. It tugged at the heartstrings, had me not wanting to put it down, and shed light on an important struggle. I'd recommend it to any of my political friends, especially those who devote themselves to fighting injustice and oppression. 


10. Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie 

Ohhhh my gosh I cannot get enough of Christie's books. Of all that I've read, Murder on the Orient Express is my favorite (so far, anyway!). I felt like I was in a game of Clue the entire time. I couldn't put it down, I couldn't stop guessing what the end would be (I was wrong, every time. I have no idea how she does it.), and I couldn't help but love how vivid all the characters were. Christie spends little time describing her characters, yet I can see them so clearly. Hercule Poirot bouncing around is, like, my favorite thing. I also love the setting for Murder on the Orient Express. The short span of time and the enclosed space made it more interesting. I ate that book up. She's become one of my favorite authors, and this is my favorite book of hers.


I'm sure I'll read this tomorrow and remember a book I love that I didn't think of tonight. Oh well! For now, these are the books that really stick out to me as books that I've absolutely loved.

To reading!
__
Charlotte

No comments:

Post a Comment