Sunday, April 24, 2016

Harry Potter Baby Names - Part 2


Okay guys. This is the (shorter, God willing) second part of the Harry Potter Baby Names series. And probably last. For now. It's about two weeks late, naturally. I had to work at a farmer's market for a few days and I did absolutely nothing when I got home (exhaustion) and I was a bit sick - found out I need surgery in two weeks, so.. my mind has been a little preoccupied.

The first post lists about a trillion ways to come up with Harry Potter-inspired baby names, including rearranging letters from characters' names, using letters from the House names, using character names as middle names for babies, and... a lot more. (Hop on over if you haven't yet.) I also mentioned some other ways: Roxy, because it means "dawn," calling to mind the moment Harry triumphed over Voldemort; Alasdair, because it means "defender of mankind;" and probably my favorite of the entire post, Forest, inspired by possibly my favorite chapter in the series: The Forest Again.

There are more ways, though! Here are some ideas:

Use characters' middle names. James and Jean are "normal" names, and no one will assume you've named your baby after Harry or Hermione. Want a nod to Dumbledore in your baby's name? Use Brian. In this post I wrote last year, I talked about ways to subtly name a kid after Dobby or Dumbledore.


It's hard to pick favorite characters from the series, but Dumbledore is definitely one of my top five (he's actually probably my first or second favorite). Using him for inspiration in naming makes sense to me. Dumbledore means white and wise, so names with similar meanings work well: Albert means "noble and bright," Alfred means "wise counselor," and Aldo means "old and wise." All have similar meanings to "Dumbledore" and all describe his character perfectly. With Arlo getting so popular, I think Aldo has potential.

My favorite Dumbledore name is probably Conrad. It means "brave counsel," which sums up Dumbledore's role pretty nicely (it would make a good Gryffindor name, as well). Shanahan is another - it means "the wise one." Of course, there are girl versions like Alberta and Alfreda/Alfrida. But if you don't dig those, I'd go back to the Ravenclaw names that mean "wisdom." Sofie, Sophie/a, Minerva, Athena, even Aubrey. I think Alba works really well, too.

There are a hundred more ways to do this/things like this for every character - go ahead and name a girl Iris for Sirius or Eva for Minerva.


Other really random ideas:

Wesley if you really love the Weasley family (who doesn't?)

Susie/Susy means "Lily." A perfect name, since much of the series revolves around Lily's sacrifice for her son.

Edgy surnames are in right now. Go ahead and use Rowling.

Do the stretchiest of stretches and use Dora for Dumbledore. The she could go as this for Halloween every year.

I could go on forever and ever. But don't worry, I won't! That's it.

...........for now.
__
Charlotte

No comments:

Post a Comment