Monday, May 25, 2015

On Memorial Day


It seems that there's a struggle on Memorial Day, at least within my social circle.  How can we honor service members without glorifying war?  Can we thank a soldier while protesting the war he fought in?  

I think we can.

America is my home and I love this country, even when I hate everything about her institutions.  I get goosebumps when I hear the national anthem and I tear up when I watch a parade of veterans.  That's all true.  

But it's also true that I'm disgusted by the military industrial complex.  I detest the fact that America's leaders are willing to send men and women (and often 18 year old kids) into war to kill and be killed so that they may profit, so that they may acquire land, so that they may reap the benefits.  

And yet I feel a deep gratitude to the people who are sent to war.  I've never met a marine who doesn't want to serve.  I've never met a sailor who wouldn't give everything to uphold our values.  I've seen airmen and coast guardsmen and soldiers stand up for what's right again and again.  

When they sign up, it's never with ill intentions.  It's always to serve America.  

When they come back, they often demand that their fellow Americans are not denied their rights.  



Sometimes veterans themselves protest wars, insisting that their brothers and sisters should not be put in harm's way unless absolutely necessary.  

Yes, politicians and weapons manufactures start unjust wars.  

But the men and women who have died in those wars died intending to protect us, to protect freedom, and to protect each other while in combat.  I think those are honorable and admirable actions, and I don't think we should take their sacrifice lightly.  

When I have kids I plan on teaching them that service members are heroes, that the kind of sacrifice fallen soldiers, marines, airmen, coast guardsmen, and sailors have made are examples of bravery and love that most of us can only strive for.  I plan on celebrating with flags and parades.  But the best way, I think, to celebrate Memorial Day is to offer a prayer for those who have died, tend to their families, and to fight for a world where small children don't need to spend the day visiting the graves of their fathers.

* * *

In the quiet sanctuaries of our own hearts, let us call on the name of God whose power over us is great and gentle, firm and forgiving, holy and healing…

You who created us, who sustain us, who call us to live in peace, hear our prayer this day.

Hear our prayer for all who have died, whose hearts and hopes are known to you alone…

Hear our prayer for those who put the welfare of others ahead of their own: give us hearts as generous as theirs…

Hear our prayers for those who give their lives in the service of others, and accept the gift of their sacrifice…

Help us to shape and make a world where we will put down the arms of war and live in the harvest of justice and peace…

Comfort those who grieve the loss of their loved ones: in our hearts let your healing be our hope.

Hear our prayer this day and in your mercy answer us in the name of all that is holy.

We ask this through Christ our Lord.

Amen.

by Fr. Austin Fleming of Concord, MA, 2008

__
Charlotte 

No comments:

Post a Comment