Sunday, July 5, 2015

June into July | 2015

Ah, my monthly post.  I think after this, I'm going to start doing these on the last day of each month to make things less confusing.  

Over all, this month has not been a good one.  Really bad, actually.  People dropping off of the face of the earth, hospital trips, poison ivy, plans getting postponed, aaannnddd (this is awk to include in a blog that I know some of my male friends read but) a month-long period.  One whole month.  Which, aside from being annoying and uncomfortable, has meant constant pain, really bad moods, headaches, and weight gain.  It's been just swell. 

But let's try to think about some of the good things?  It'd be a little sad to write a monthly summary that only includes the worst of the worst.  

1. Trip to New York. 

Most unflattering pic but look how huge my lil bro is.
This was frustrating because I was given about eight hours notice before having to make a 13 hour drive.  I went up to get my sister and cousins... so the ride back was an adventure.  Me, 15 year old, 11 year old, 10 year old, and an 8 year old.  Many, many stops were made.  

But I got to see some of my friends, hang out with my younger sibs a bit, and went to the beach.  I don't know how, but I had let years go by since the last time I swam in salt water.

(Dana, if you're reading, let's make sure to take a picture together next time, because I don't have any.)

New York consisted of beach trips, long drives down Montauk Highway, sunsets, and watching skydivers.  Also a lot of food.  Pizza, rice balls, French onion soup, coffee, coffee, coffee, egg sandwiches.  NY is really the best place for food. 

I also had a minor stresspisode when faced with buying a bathing suit.  I've lost a lot of weight over the last year, but I'm still way heavier than what I want to be or should be, so it's a stressful endeavor as is but Target just... is not the place to go for a bathing suit if you wear anything above a large.  When I'm at my ideal size - between 155-175 (according to how I feel and to doctors/charts), I wear a large.  Targets selection was dismal for anything other than xs and s.  So yeah.  We left Target in bad moods, but my cousin said, "Why not just stop at Walmart?"  I rolled my eyes because if Target didn't have anything suitable, Walmart obviously wouldn't have anything either.  Buuut my sister and cousin helped me look and we found one I liked and that fit me and that did not have a price tag.  This last bit worked out great, because the manager said to find another top by that same brand and use that price.  So Rebecca went ahead and found a $10 suit by the same brand even though the one I picked prrrrobably would have cost more but yes, winnings.    

I also used some of my time on LI to check out my dream house and spent a lot of time at the Shrine of Our Lady of the Island, which is always super peaceful and calming.  (pics at bottom.)

2. Insomnia

Okay, okay - this isn't a good thing.  But for the last week it's been a big thing.  I haven't been sleeping.  This usually happens when I'm very stressed and/or when depression hits worst.  I know what situation is causing it, but it's out of my control.  I've been handling the stress and emotions better during the day, but I can't get to sleep.  I've resorted to taking three benadryl every couple of nights, but it's not an ideal or even real solution.  I feel like a zombie, and I get less done during the days because it's hard to focus when you're sleep deprived.  Any suggestions on how to get to sleep are welcome. 

3.  Swimming

Specifically, swimming in mountain water.  

I love the ocean and the bay, but there's nothing like sliding down an actual mountain into a pool of fresh, moving water.

Although there's nothing quite colder than that, either. 

Since coming to North Carolina, I really haven't been doing enough hiking and swimming, which was one of the main motivators behind staying.  

I'm prioritizing this for the next month. 

4. Like a pill

I've finally (finally [finally]) started taking vitamins.  It makes me a little nauseous because when it says "take one each morning with food" I read it as "take one each morning with coffee."  So I've got to work on my morning eating habits.  

Not like a pill but somewhat related since it's got to do with overall health/well being, I've started using this aromatherapy lotion body cream stuff (totally the technical name) from Bath and Body Works and you guys, I think it works.  Which is saying something because I'm a skeptic with this kind of thing.  I bought it while it was on sale for $5 and I'm regretting not buying more of them. 

5. School stuff

I want to write another post on this later in the week with more details, but school might not be happening in the fall.  Someone was going to help pay for it, and it's starting to look like that might no longer be the case, which means I'll need the fall to save the money myself.  I'm trying (not always succeeding) to not get too down about this by telling myself that it'll give me time for that surgery we're hoping to get as well as time to fix the room I'll be staying in at my family's house.  It currently has holes in the walls and the baseboard is broken and missing in one spot, and you can literally see the outside world from inside.  While nothing is set in stone yet, I'm trying to focus on the stuff I'd be able to do before going to school.  

* * *

Just little fun things this month:

 Jurassic World, which I almost always just call "Jurassic Park." 

I loved it.  Chris Pratt was great.  And I know I might get some side-eye from this, but I think he was better looking in this movie than in Guardians of the Galaxy.  After seeing (and loving) that movie, I didn't really understand the obsession with Pratt.  I do now.  

My friend Joe didn't like the ending (is two giant dinosaurs fighting too corny?) and I've heard quite a bit of agreement from others on that.  But I'm all for corny endings.  I really wanted that dinosaur to go down, and I'm glad the t-rex could deliver, even if the roar at the end was massively cheesy.  

Also, I was so glad when Vic Hoskins bit the dust.  I don't think I've ever rooted for a movie character to die like that before.  

Best of both...
(Let it be known that this friend just informed me he doesn't like dinosaurs.  What in the world?  [I wasn't going to bring this up but now I'm feeling some type of way: he also dislikes baseball.  To Joseph McCarthy you go.])  

I can't wait to watch it again.  It's also making me want to go rent the original movies from the library.  

Actually, I think I'll do that this week.  

Another activity that's been a lot of fun?  Basketballllllll.  I've always loved basketball.  In my last Up To, I mentioned playing a bit, and being really, really bad.  Turns out I actually make a lot of the shots I take when I'm playing an actual game.  I think competition helps me. 

* * * 
Books

I'm very embarrassed to say I didn't read any books this month.  I started Pride and Prejudice and Seizing Your Divine Moment but haven't finished either.  Told you, rough month.  

* * * 

This month's to-do 

Figure out the school thing
Write book reviews for Better Than Before and Awaken the Spirit Within
Exercise more 
Schedule doctor appointments for late Aug/early Sept in NY
Publish blog posts four times a week 

* * * 

Links worth looking at













* * * 
Finally, some poor quality photos: 













__
Charlotte 







No comments:

Post a Comment