Friday, March 13, 2015

Thoughts on Grey's Anatomy.

There might be some spoilers in this. 

I wasn't even going to write this post, because I doubt anyone will care.  But then I remembered Stephanie reads this blog and watches Grey's Anatomy.  So it shall be written.

I didn't jump on the Grey's bandwagon until most people jumped off.  This is kind of a theme in my life.  Oh well.  That said, I've been a weekly watcher for the last three years, mostly thanks to aforementioned roommate.  I've watched all the past seasons twice now, so I'm basically  an expert.  Right, that's how it works?

Well, I just finished watching the most recent episode (I Feel the Earth Move) and was like, "I have opinions about this."  So here we are.  A few ridiculous, short, not at all important things I think about Grey's Anatomy. 

1. It is so dark.  Not metaphorically.  Just in general, the last few seasons forgot what light is while filming.  I'm assuming they keep the lights so low because they want to keep it dramatic, but there were plenty of dramatic scenes in the earlier seasons and there was better lighting.  I HATE the darkness.  Aside from the fact that it's just not my thing, let's be real, hospitals aren't that dark.  I don't care that it's a fictional TV show.  Turn on some lights.  

2. Callie is by far my favorite character.  I didn't like her very much when she first joins the show, but I think that's because I hated her hair so much.  Wow, am I horrible.  But really, her hair is so nice now.  Her character is awesome.  I think she comes off as the most sincere and probably the most realistic.  


3.  I don't think I like where the show is going as a whole.  There are good parts (Amelia and Owen, Maggie, Alex), but as a whole it's just... eh.  First of all, I hope they don't end Meredith and Derek's marriage.  I know divorce is a real thing in the real world, but it won't kill the show to have some lasting marriages.  I'm down with a little marital strife, but I think it would negate basically the last 10 seasons to end their marriage.  And I'm not loving the Callie-Arizona story line for similar reasons.  That's also just confusing, and I kind of wish the writers would just pick a story for them.  I don't like that Derek is not in any of the episodes, and I miss his hair.  Hopefully he'll be back soon.  The show is not the same without Cristina, either, though I suppose they're doing as best they can without her. 

4. I see a lot of Amelia-hate on the internet, but screw that.  I like her.  She's kind of very annoying sometimes, but so is every other person in both the fictional and real worlds, so... she's fine.  I like her back story and I like her dynamic with Owen.  

5.  I used to despise Kepner.  I don't adore her now, but I dislike her less, and the recent story line she and Jackson shared was touching, though I still find their relationship weird.  In general, Grey's does a pretty bad job of developing relationships.  I think they're often good at individual character development, but they often do a shit job of showing why people become couples.  Four out of five times they rely on nothing attraction at first sight, if anything.  

6.  I love Maggie and I think she was a necessary addition to the show.  It desperately needed a fresh new face. 

7. Meredith is not the sun.  In Cristina's final episode, she told Meredith that she was the sun, not Derek.  But... no.  No person is the center of the effing universe, and until this most recent episode, Meredith was annoying me so much.  I love that Meredith is a kickass surgeon, a devoted mom, and a wife.  And she is exceptional (89 surgeries without losing one patient?? Amazing.), but being exceptional is not a pass to worry about no one but yourself.  I understood when she told Derek she wasn't going to DC.  Any kind of relationship is about compromise, especially marriage, and she had already done so frequently for him.  But then she started acting hella immature when he decide to turn down the job offer.  She sort of reverted back to her old self. I'm not going to list all of the crap she did to annoy me, because if you watch the show you probably know what I'm talking about.  That said, in yesterday's episode she had a sort of epiphany.  She realized she didn't need Derek in order to be successful, but she wanted him and wanted to share her life with him.  That was cool, and it felt like she finally was back to, you know, maturity.  (Though I don't think there's anything wrong with needing people.  Everybody needs people.  But the point was that she is skilled and happy, and sharing that with him just makes it better.  Most excellent.) 

8.  The writers were able to continue the show without Izzy and George.  And without Sloan and Lexi.  And it looks like they might even be able to get by without Cristina (though it's not the same). But they would never be able to keep the show going without Bailey and/or Webber.  I love both of them.  

That's it.  God bless Grey's. 

__
Charlotte 

No comments:

Post a Comment