Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Books Before My Thirtieth Birthday


That's right, a book bucket list for my twenties.

Liz and I just compiled a decent sized list of the books we'd like to read before we turn 30 over on Filthy Casket. Here's a snippet:
At the risk of sounding exceptionally corny, when I was coming up with this list, I tried to think about what kind of woman I want to be. (One answer: Not the kind of grown ass woman who hasn't read Pride and Prejudice.) I want to be someone who reads often and who reads critically and thoughtfully. I also want to be the kind of woman who never finds herself without a witty comeback. I'm already pretty good with that, but I can stand to up my literary humor game.  
I want to know more about the world, I want to understand the struggles of other people, and I want to be able to talk about the classics. I also do not - do not - want to be the kind of person who doesn't pick up a book because reading it feels like a daunting task. Do that too many times and suddenly my reading habits will become a metaphor for my life, and that's not the kind of life I want to make. 
You'll also find a few heavy Catholic books on here, because I've really started to love being a Catholic. It's already made me a better person, and I've been devouring saints' stories left and right. Your twenties are supposed to be a wonderful time to solidify habits, and I'd love to start incorporating more of the Catholic customs into my life. No time like the present!  
Lastly, I've got a few kids books on here. Maybe I'll have kids before my thirtieth birthday, maybe I won't - but I really like the idea of having a few kids books under my belt before I'm a parent. Is that weird? Probably. But again, I tried to keep in mind what kind of woman I want to be while writing this - and a good parent is definitely part of the answer. 
I own a lot of these, plus most are classics or at least very old, meaning they're nearly free for the kindle. I officially have no excuses to not finish this list.  
Some of the books: Les Miserables, On Being Catholic, Pride and Prejudice, Gone With the Wind, One Hundred Years of Solitude, Confessions of Saint Augustine, and so much more! 

No comments:

Post a Comment