Thursday, August 6, 2015

July into August | 2015


"I'm going to publish my monthly posts on the last day of each month!" 

Liar 

"I'm going to publish four posts a week!" 

Liar 

"I'm going to post several book reviews!" 

Pants officially on fire.

What a strange month.  It was filled with so many great things: first time going to Disney, having Stephanie over for a few days, losing a few pounds.  But I also found myself in the hospital twice, had an unhealthy dose of family drama, and spent a lot of time questioning my own plans for el futuro.

1. Disney trip 

Already wrote an entire post on this, but I forgot to include this story.  About 40 minutes before the park closed on our last night there, we jumped on line for Space Mountain.  At this point my aunt and one of my cousins decided they were done and sat it out.  When we got off of the ride it was 19 minutes to closing time.  The girls really wanted to do Splash Mountain and, if possible, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.  Those rides were on the complete opposite side of the park so we booked it.  (I'm fairly certain I lost about 10 pounds on the way there from the running/speed-walking.  Thanks, Disney. :D )

We made it over in seven minutes, ran up the line, and got onto the coaster.  The 11 year old and 8 year old were paired together that way Rebecca and I could be paired together (to maximize fun, obv).  

Well let me tell you.  I'm not the smallest person around.  The bars on every roller coaster would NOT go down all the way.  I mean, it was fine, it was keeping us in there, but with more wiggle room than some might be comfortable with.  My aunt rode with me on another ride and genuinely feared falling out.  At first I thought it was happening because I'm.. curvy?  My stomach maybe was in the way?  But then Rebecca pointed out that the bar wasn't even close to my stomach and that it was actually my legs that prevented it from going down all the way.  I don't know if it's because I'm tall or because my legs are thick - probably a combination of both, but wow were we mobile.  The very first real bump on the roller coaster and Rebecca and I went so high out of our seats.  It wasn't scary at all, it was just unbelievable.  I was cracking up and holding on to the side (as to not crush the poor dear) and Rebecca was scream-laughing.  This happened on every curve and bump. 

At some point we realized the woman and her daughter behind us are also cracking up.  I thought they had just been having a good time, but then she screamed, "You two went so high!  You're flying! I can't believe it!"  And the laughing did not stop.  I said something like, "I think I peed a little" and the woman (I think, though maybe it was her daughter or Rebecca?) yelled, "Me too!"  

A little Disney camaraderie.  

When we got off people cheered us on as we tried to get to Splash Mountain.  We were successful.  We were once again given a lot of wiggle room thanks to my legs.  A good time was had by all.  I think.

2. Stephanie Visited

Wrote a post on this, too.  It was a ton of fun and I miss her already.  

3. I was in the hospital - twice

I don't want to go into detail just yet but let's just say it's a nightmare.  Hopefully over the course of the next few months things are straightened out with medicine.  And it's becoming more and more clear that the best bet is the excision surgery (the one that is performed in only a few places throughout the country, joy). 

    
4. A week without wifi or cable

I needed to stay with my cousin in Georgia for a week while her dad was out of town.  There was no wifi or cable.  This isn't actually the end of the world for me, though it is hard when you become so used to having the internet at your fingertips 24/7.

Luckily they have a tv so I brought the vcr/dvd player and some of my grandpa's old movies.  I finally watched all the original Star Wars movies.  I told my friend I liked the last one because of the teddy bears and he was quick to let me know they are ewoks, dammit. 

I brought a bunch of books, too.  I gathered everything I've started but not finished over the years.  I ended up reading three or four. 

5. College Football

I decided I want to follow college sports.  Or, college football and basketball.  I've decided, after not that much debate, that I'm an Ohio State fan.

This was definitely the most important thing I did this month and I couldn't NOT include it in this post. 
_____________________________________

Books! 

This sounds so dramatic but I feel like I'm longing for a good book.  I've read a bunch of books this year and I've liked many of them, but none have been exceptional.  (Well, almost.  Better Than Before was really great, but I guess I'm looking for a novel that moves me.)  I always end up going back to Harry Potter because I love it more than anything else I've read.  Other than HP I think the last book to have a profound impact on me was The Twelve Tribes of Hattie (wrote about it here) and that was over a year ago!  Someone help me.  

This month I read six books: 

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (for the second time in 2-3 months..)
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Seizing Your Divine Moment by Erwin McManus
Everything Happens Today by Jesse Browner
Bossypants by Tina Fey
Walking With the Comrades by Arundhati Roy
and I've been working on Flannery O'Connor's short stories. 
Still have not finished Pride and Prejudice 

Over all, not bad but not as many as I want to be reading.  
_____________________________________

Links worth looking at.....

Except not.  I'm going to try and just do a post with some links once a week because doing it once a month is hard.  Not only does it mean too many links, but some of the stories are no longer in the news.  
_____________________________________

Happening soon: 


'scuse me as I go wipe my drool.  

I'm going back to NY sometime in the next two months.  I'm simultaneously filled with excitement and dread, so maybe that's another day's post.  I am looking forward to NY food though.  I'm also supposed to make a little trip to Albany in October and I can hardly contain the joy I feel at the very thought of it. 
_____________________________________

Goals for August 

Play basketball at least four times a week

Swim at least twice a week

Write your damn blog posts four times a week

Read at least three more books

Contact UNC and Atlanta about excision surgery

Line up a primary in NY

Send Emily, Alison, and Sera letters

Don't get any fast food meals

Bring my camera with me more often 


Nothing but pretty skies and happy days ahead.
___
Charlotte 

No comments:

Post a Comment