Monday, August 10, 2015

Ten Things to do on a Rainy Day


It's been not-so-great here (according to everyone else... personally, I love rain) lately and that tends to get people in a rut.  But there are so many fun things to do on rainy days. 

1. Take advantage of a Shutterfly deal.  Seriously, they have great deals all the time.  Today you can get 101 free 4x6 prints if you use the code 101TREATS.  If you're reading this on a day that is not August 10, 2015 don't fret - they have deals all the time.  All the time.  Hop on over to their Facebook page and look for the offers.  Then go ahead and get yourself some free pictures.  (Also, this is not sponsored.  I just love them.)

2. Go read Harry Potter, ya doof. 

3. In that same vein, go to the library.  I neglected libraries for a few years.  Amazon and my killer ability to find books on sale at Barnes and Noble meant I didn't really have any need for libraries - or so I thought.  

Truth is, libraries are freaking amazing.  There's nothing worse (other than like, poverty and sickness and terrorism and Donald Trump) than buying a book and really hating it.  Libraries set you free.  No more wasting $15 on a book that turns out to be horrid.  You can read that awful book for free!  Yeah!  (Added bonus: I feel less guilt about starting a book and not finishing it if I didn't pay for it.  Which means no more forcing myself to read a crappy story.)  A lot of libraries also have used books for less than $1.  Grab the change out of your pockets and head to the library on a rainy day.  Emerge with a stack of new-to-you books.

4. Do some kind of craft or DIY project.  I have a pair of shoes that were $14 at Target.  Summer is almost over and the shoes are starting to wear, so I'm going to throw them in the washer and when they're done drying I'm going to take some Painters markers and go to town.  Haven't yet decided if I want words, stripes, polka dots, zig zags or this or this!  But really, there are a ton of awesome projects to do even if you don't happen to have blank shoes and a supply of paint markers.  Peruse Pinterest and find something fabulous to make.

5. Call one of your friends.  I called my bff Olivia the other day for no real reason.  She mumbles a little bit when she's on the phone (<3 you anyway, Liv) so it's hard to decipher what she's saying sometimes, but it is always so nice to hear her voice.  Texting/emailing/Facebook messaging is great but just not the same.  

6. Similarly, write letters.  I regularly write to some of my friends and it's wonderful.  Even though most of us can talk online there are things that feel more natural when they're written in a nice, long letter.  It always makes people happy to get something non-bill-related in the mail, plus you'll likely get a letter back!  Postage is like 44 cents, so you can really go crazy!  Go get yourself a 25 cent book from the library, call in an order for $1.71 wonton soup, and head to the post office.  You'll wait on line a few minutes and and then your letter will be sent and you'll have precisely the right amount of time to get to the Chinese food place as soon as they bag your order.  Congrats, you're having a great day at the low, low price of $2.50!  

I may or may not have just divulged my most frequent rainy-day sched. 

7. Do what you'd be doing if it was sunny.  Really.  Unless it's thundering and lightening (I never go outdoors in storms, no sirree.) or raining to the point where it's dangerous, go ahead and have your outdoor adventure.  (Within reason.)  I drove to a mountain "river" (in quotation marks because it feels more like a creek, but hey) the other day with my younger cousins.  It ended up pouring as soon as we got out of the car.  My ass did not just waste five dollars and thirty minutes of our precious lives, though, so I insisted we swim anyway.  It was incredibly fun, we all survived, and the rain only lasted about ten minutes.  The one thing I'd say is to wear clothes that aren't important.

Playing basketball is fun in the rain.  Going to the park is fun in the rain.  Going on walks in the rain is fun and you can pretend you're super fancy/romantic a la The Notebook.  Or something.

8. Have a new blog you love?  Hang out with some hot chocolate and read the posts from the archives.  I've done this a bit with Design Mom (houses, travels, backyards to die for), Held by His Pierced Hands, and Emma Lou.  But any blog or website will do.  Or, start your own blog!

9. Pick your favorite topic and create a new Pinterest Board on it.  Pinterest can get out of hand but I think, in general, occasional binges are fine.  I have a Christmas board, a library board, and too many home design/decor boards to mention.  I love adding to them on rainy days.  (And trying to create things inspired by them on rainy days, too.)

10. Write a list of things to do instead of actually doing anything.  

We bad, we bad.

__
Charlotte
   

   

   

No comments:

Post a Comment