Sunday, January 10, 2016

link love

I've read Deathly Hallows just a few times....
It's been a while since the last link love post. I've debated even continuing writing them, probably out of laziness. But I know I like to look back on them sometimes, especially if I'm need of a recipe or a DIY project. So for now I'll continue them.

Speaking of recipes, I must try this one for chicken marsala. It looks fairly easy and very delicious. (And speaking of food, did you see this list of food Tom Brady's family won't eat? Basically all of the delicious food in this world is a big no. Eek!)

Did you see our list of 2016 reading goals over on FC? I've finished two books so far.  

I was talking to Liz about this story - a new breakthrough may make it possible for same-sex spouses to both be biological parents to their children. I'm not sure how to feel about it. I want to be happy for the potential couples, but... I also don't like the implications. I already think we're wading into unethical waters by choosing certain genes for children, and this sounds like it has the potential to make that worse. It feels a lot like we're trying to play God (or nature, if you don't believe in God). Thoughts?

I think this house is too cute and whimsical for my own taste, but I do love those ombre stairs.

This couple had more children than they planned, and it worked out. Just a nice story. (And while we're on the topic of kids, I really liked this article, "When Will Children be Regarded as Regular People Again?" It's okay to not want kids. It's okay to be overwhelmed by or scared of taking care of kids. It's not okay to hate kids.)

Loved these funny illustrations of Leslie Knope's compliments.

I liked this DIY book clock... but if *I* were to make one, I'd need them to all be the same size, or at least nearly the same size. And maybe prettier covers, or without their covers. But I still think it's a cool concept.

Bittersweet quotes from Giants players about Coach Coughlin. I personally am upset to see him go, and I think the general manager should have been the one to leave, but hey.  

This is a good DIY project to save! You know those slate beds? Well if you have no use for the bed anymore, use those slates to make a table!

LOL, parliament is going to consider barring Donald Trump from entering the UK. Excellent.

This family went on a three month trip to Europe, and now they're answering all the "how to" questions. I'm going to file away this financial guide for later.

This article is one of the more reasonable discussions of what's happening in Oregon:
The improbable logic of many liberals is that state violence can be held to a moral rubric, that the deeply corrupt American state, bound to the functional psychopaths of the one percent who rule it, can be induced to be fair.
It cannot.  
A librarian bought a house that just happened to have a cupboard under the stairs. Well of course she had to give it a Harry Potter makeover. (New item on my bucket list: live in a house with a cupboard under the stairs, decorate accordingly.)

A white woman pointed a gun at numerous people, including police officers. Because they value white lives, they didn't shoot her. Tamir Rice was killed the instant cops saw him, even though he was a little boy playing with a toy. Michael Brown was shot when his hands were in the air and he was unarmed. But a woman pointing a gun at cops is spared. I'm glad she is alive - the cops acted the way they should act. I'm just pissed that black people aren't valued enough to be given the same proper treatment.

(Related: This football player refused to apologize for wearing a t-shirt calling for justice for Tamir Rice. He's right.)

This family had 25 kids. 25. Love a lot of their names.

How do you feel about this list of things that every home needs? I agree with a few of them, but not all of them.

These junior doctors (it sounds like the equivalent of our doctors who haven't yet become attendings) are going on strike. When a newspaper tried to paint them as living lavish lives, they fought back with humor.

This article talks about the struggles women face in America, focusing specifically on women who are poor and/or people of color.

Loved reading this story about a man with seven daughters. Sounds like quite the life.

I like to go on Apartment Therapy a bit to peruse the house tours. I wouldn't call this one perfect, but I really dig a few things about it.

This Harry Potter fan buys a book from the series from every country she visits. Life goals!

Here's a bunch of different ways to illustrate how much time you have left before you die.

Finally, I'm currently obsessed with this song from Adele. (And I won't pretend I'm not also loving this One Direction song [yeah I know] and this one from DNCE, ahem, Joe Jonas.)    

That's all for this week! 
__
Charlotte

No comments:

Post a Comment