Sunday, April 12, 2015

Weekling: W.23

For more posts in this series, go here: Weeklings

I'll get to my own stuff in a minute but I just watched the body cam footage of the killing of Eric Harris so wanted to say a few things.  I'm not going to link to it because it's incredibly disturbing (like one of those videos that give you actual chest pain) but it shows Harris running from police, being chased, caught, and brought to the ground.  Then, while he's on the ground with at least one officer on top of him, you hear another office shout "taser!" to warn the others that he is going to use his stun gun.  Only, he accidentally uses his real gun, hitting Harris.  He immediately realizes what he's done, and says, "I shot him!  I'm sorry!" He then drops the gun.  

I think it probably really was an accident because his voice sounds genuinely surprised and remorseful, and he dropped the gun.  That said, the rest of what happens in the video is not accidental.  After Harris is shot, more cops continue to pile on top of him (something no one can argue is necessary) and as Harris is freaking out (saying, "He shot me, oh my God, he shot me.") another officer screams in his face, "You fucking ran.  Shut the fuck up."  This isn't the cop who shot Harris, this is a different cop.  

Probably worst of all, when Harris says he is losing his breath, the cop who screamed before says, "Fuck your breath."  

Don't even dare to try and justify that cop's actions.  The initial shooting might have been an accident, but the aftermath was not.  Harris is shot and on the ground and still, several police officers jump on him and pin him down.  He is shot and on the ground and they continue to kneel with their full weight on this man's head.  That's not okay, and everyone involved should be suspended.  The officer who screamed at Harris should be fired.  And while I think the shooting was a genuine mistake, a taser should not have been employed.  There is no need whatsoever to shock a man who is already on the ground, regardless of whether or not he is trying to get away.  

There is so much wrong with the whole thing, and there's more to say about it but for the moment I'm just going to say that we need to change how police function in this country, we need to value black lives, and we need to hold the Harris family in our thoughts.   


Happenings 

This week was hot.  Is there a place where it's always 70 degrees?  If so I want to go there.  I mean I will take this weather to any more snow, but you know.  Hot.  It does mean I was able to do things like clean out my car and look at flowers and take walks and stuff so that's cool. 


I finally watched the third installment of The Hobbit and I loved it.  I know a lot of people didn't like it but I enjoyed it (I may or may not have it on as I write this....)  As I've said, I'm easy to please in the movie department. 

After a conversation with my surgeon's nurse, it sounds as though I need another surgery, and soon.  The things I described to them made them very nervous, and I'm supposed to hear back from the doctor tomorrow to find out what needs to happen.  This is going to be a hassle and will be difficult to deal with, but.... 

Thankful for

My friend and old coworker found out a way for me to get insurance.  Thank God for her existence, basically.  It looks like I'll still need to go to NY for the surgery because it's a quasi-emergency, but this means I can take care of follow up and all of the other medical issues I have. 

Books I'm reading now

I honestly don't even know.  I started Looking for Alaska but don't love it yet and I'm starting to wonder if I really need to finish every book I start even if I don't enjoy it.  

Random

I'm in pain often so it's hard to do things but yesterday I had a glorious two hour break from pain and went and played basketball.  My grandpa beat me in two out of three games of "Out" so.... I'm blaming it on the chronic illness thing. 

To-do

Schedule surgery (most likely) and work out the logistics of it all. 

Links worth looking at

The Worst Week of Thomas' Life - Held by His Pierced Hands 

Basically, this: "Maybe we believe plenty but we still can’t sense his presence. We know Jesus rose but we can’t for the life of us see any resurrection in our own futures."


Thoughts on this?  I personally love the show and didn't find too much of it offensive.  Then again, I'm white and straight, and the criticism it's gotten has been about stereotypes of LGBTQ people, Asians, and Native Americans, so... 


A friend shared this on Facebook and I agree...  I can't wait to have kids and dress them up in fancy clothes for holidays.  


Yes.  I'm not a fan of charters for several reasons, and this is one of them. 

Spitting Images - Fran Dorsey

I don't even know how I came across this, but it's hilarious.  And on point. 


This was shared on another blog I read and I think it's a great piece.  


Here: “The bosses don’t start with how to save lives,” Trowe said after visiting the East Village. “They start with the bottom line. It’s part of the capitalist mentality. Working people have to take the opposite approach.” 

Fun Fact

I fell through ice into freezing cold water once.  My friend, Olivia, helped pull me out.  I forgot to include this in the post I wrote about her.  I guess that's not really a fun fact.  Oh well. 

__
Charlotte 



No comments:

Post a Comment