Sunday, April 19, 2015

Sorting Hat: Supernatural (Guest Post by Liz!)

Supernatural lovers - rejoice!  My bud, Liz, was gracious enough to write a guest post.  I'm *sort of* fond of all things Harry Potter, and you all know that we've got a little series here where we're placing characters from our favorite shows into Hogwarts houses.  So fun!  Liz watches some TV shows that I don't and vice versa, so with her help we can cover different genres.  Read along and see what a nerd she is enjoy.  **Also, Blogger is whack and so formatting is off - weird indentations everywhere.  Apologies!

Charlotte has done some awesome Hogwarts Sorting Hat posts on her favorite shows, so naturally, I wanted to do one for one of my favorite shows, Supernatural. Charlotte happens to be a big ‘ol scaredy pants, so she wouldn’t like Supernatural probably, but she’s been so kind as to allow me to do this post (thanks girl, even though you first forced me to watch Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt before I could write this post, and then I ended up really liking UKS and it kept me from writing this post).

Be forewarned, this post will definitely have some spoilers. I’ll avoid spoiling major plot points, but if you’re still in seasons 1-2, you may want to stop reading now. Without further ado, let Liz’s sorting hat do what it’s going to do.

       1. Dean Winchester

(he’s so handsome…)
I really didn’t have a hard time sorting Dean at all- he’s undoubtedly a Gryffindor. "You might belong in Gryffindor, Where dwell the brave at heart, Their daring, nerve and chivalry, Set Gryffindors apart." I mean, come on. We all know this is Dean. His love for his family gives him so much bravery and strength. He has a strong sense of duty to his family- he never thought about leaving the family business, and he says constantly that hunting is in his blood. He also has a strong sense of righteousness, which we all see clearly at various points in the show. A good example of this to me is when he kills Sam’s old friend, Amy, who is a Kitsune. Dean’s nature to see things as black and white- monsters are bad and must be killed, humans must be saved- is a significant part of the story line, and I think it’s a good example of how he fits in Gryffindor. A more positive example is how he sacrifices himself over and over again to save Sammy.

2. Sam Winchester

(also so handsome...this show is filled with attractive men)
For a little while I was torn between sorting Sam as a Ravenclaw or a Gryffindor. Sam is undoubtedly brave and chivalrous, but for me his bookworm characteristics tip the scale in favor of Ravenclaw. Sam didn’t want to be a hunter- he wanted to graduate from Stanford and become a lawyer, but unforeseeable incidents obviously forced him back into the business. Sam is the researcher, always looking up as much as possible before a case. Also, Sam is a self-identified “freak.” As a kid he was the weird loner, and demon blood running through his veins has always made him feel different. Because of this, Sam is relatively open-minded and accepting. He was deceived by Ruby because he thought that even though she is a demon, she could be genuinely good. Anyone who saw how Sam reacted to the bunker once owned by the Men of Letters can see he’d fit in well in Ravenclaw.

3.       Bobby Singer

(I’m surprised “idjits” isn’t a part of my everyday vocabulary, tbh)
Bobby is a tough one (balls!). He has characteristics of Gyrffindor, Ravenclaw, and Hufflepuff. Bobby is brave, smart, and kind. My first thought was Hufflepuff, but frankly, I think the other members of that house would drive him absolutely insane. No one can doubt that Bobby is a hard worker and incredibly loyal. He serves as a network for numerous hunters all over the country. He has at least 6 phone lines in his home so he can cover for hunters and pretend to be a Sheriff, the FBI, etc. Bobby isn’t friendly though, and his patience can certainly wear thin. So, I think Bobby would get to choose, and he’d probably choose Gryffindor. No one can doubt that Bobby is brave and thinks on his feet. I think he’d fit in well there.

4.       Castiel


I had no trouble sorting Castiel at all- Hufflepuff! Loyal, patient, kind- all words that describe him perfectly. Castiel is one of the only genuinely good angels remaining in heaven. He believes strongly in doing what is right and fair. His kindness is apparent. Besides raising Dean from perdition, Castiel goes out of his way to heal people at random. And, of course, his unwavering loyalty to the Winchesters, especially Dean, is what makes him stand out amongst the other angels. Castiel is truly dedicated to doing God’s work. Even when he makes the wrong choices, he is always doing them because, in his heart, he believes he is doing the right thing.


5.       Crowley



Crowley, the King of Hell. You can bite me if you think I’m wrong on this one- he goes to Slytherin. I’d say most, if not all, of the demons in SPN would be Slytherins. Cunning, clever, and ambitious are traits they all seem to carry. Crowley does whatever it takes to become King of Hell and to strengthen his position, be it partnering with Castiel and the Winchesters, or helping the Winchesters to kill off his own kind. Before anyone asks, Ruby and Meg are also in Syltherin. You can love these characters one minute, and hate them the next, which I think is a big part of their appeal.


6.       Jo Harvelle


Jo and Ellen are characters that didn’t get to be developed as much as they deserved on SPN. I LOVED Ellen and Jo, which is why I had to sort these two on the post. Jo goes to Gryffindor! I think the first time we see Jo is a clear Gryffindor is when she runs off on her own to take on the case where young blonde women have been disappearing from an apartment building. SHE OFFERS HERSELF UP AS BAIT IN THAT EPISODE. That takes some serious guts. For those of you past season 3, you all know how brave Jo is through it all.

7.       Ellen Harvelle


Ellen is a little harder for me to sort than Jo, but I think she belongs in Gryffindor as well. She’s just such a badass babe. Just look at that gif of her, look at it.


8.       Charlie Bradbury


Another easy one- Charlie is definitely in Ravenclaw. She is exceptionally intelligent and bright- she’s one of the best hackers on the planet! She’s also a proud fangirl, does live action role-playing, goes to comic con, etc. She’s very proudly unique. Sure, she has dropped out of school, but she was clever and wise enough to make it on her own. She also does a great job saving the Winchesters’ butts now and then.

I know there are so many awesome characters on SPN, and I could go on forever, but writing all of this is getting old, so here’s a short list of some of minor SPN characters and where I think they’d go:

Gabriel- Ravenclaw

Death (Yes, I love Death. I had to include him. He’s in so few episodes but he’s one of my favorite characters)- Ravenclaw

Kevin Tran- Also, Ravenclaw

Benny- Hufflepuff
Lucifer- Slytherin (obvs)
Raphael- Slytherin


And that’s it. That’s all I’m doing for tonight. SPN lovers, go watch an episode. Until next time…

-Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment