Sunday, April 19, 2015

Weekling: W.24

For more posts in this series, go here: Weeklings

Happenings

It's been in the 40's here every day.  It's been raining and nasty.  It's been miserable.  

Usually this is when I'd offer an update on the health situation, but since I doubt anyone wants to read all of that every week, I'm just giving the medical stuff its own little section.... way at the bottom.

On the ~not medical~ side of things: 

My grandparents' car needed to be driven for around 80 miles to check out an old problem, so Chimney Rock seemed like a nice place to go, despite the rain. 




In other exciting-only-to-me news... I bought this shirt a few months ago because a store was going out of business and it was like $1.50 and it can be dressed up or dressed down.  But, it didn't fit.  And it didn't fit a month ago.  But now it does!  I mean, I'm not suggesting I look great and I know this is mostly an unflattering picture, but it's nice knowing that I'm losing weight. 

Obnoxious smile just for Olivia, who complains whenever I've got my go-to scowl on.
Common theme among these pictures: I am not a photographer. 

And oh, oh, oh, I don't think I've talked about Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt much yet.  I've watched it twice now and I love it.  The casting is perfect, the actors are great, and the writing is brilliant.  Some of my favorite lines: 

"Are you asking me out, you tasty little Bob the Builder?"  (PS, I think the construction worker in that episode is SO CUTE when he smiles.  #crush)

"In my next life, I'm coming back as a baby." 

"I'll be here. ....wiiith my kissing hole." 

"I'm a stranger danger ranger!" 

"A female dog?  The thing that makes puppies?  Nice compliment, Xan." 

"You look bright eyed and bushy tailed!"
"No, I got that lasered off."

And so many more.  So many. 


Thankful for

All of my friends but especially Liv, Liz, and Alison, who have had to endure several pictures (captioned, "Do I look gross in this?") and many a rant this week.  Poor souls. 

Books I'm reading now

I won't lie, I've dropped my reading goals this week(s) in favor of re-reading some Harry Potter.  I'm not mad about it.  

Random

I am making this recipe for Skillet Basil Cream Chicken tomorrow and I am SO excited.  I predict that it will taste divine but not look nearly as lovely as those pictures look. 

To-do 

Up my search for a job I can do from home (I feel like this is my only option until this medical problem is sorted because I'm sick or writhing in pain all the time).  

Do more research on the nearest surgeons who perform the surgery I need.

Links worth looking at




(This is two years old but I just came across it while writing the post about West Wing characters and Hogwarts houses.)




Medical stuff


After saying surgery is the only thing that will fix the problems I currently have, I was also told that surgery isn't an option.  That's my dilemma.  I asked why, and basically, surgery causes more adhesions.  It's not the biggest deal in the world, but too many of them have the potential to make it a little difficult getting pregnant later on.  So instead my doctor wanted to put me on one of two medicines.  Both just stop you from getting your period to prevent the endometriosis from getting worse.  

Problem is, I've done a ton of research - most women who go on these don't get much relief.  Do I want to stop it from getting worse?  Yes.  But I'm not comfortable ignoring the problems that are already there PLUS I'm currently in a lot of pain and/or violently ill several times a week, so this is making it hard for me to function.  And just in case the things I read weren't true, I asked if the medicines would stop my symptoms and the answer was no.  

I understand why my doctor wants to avoid surgery, but they also told me that it's the only thing that will fix what's wrong and that my symptoms are troubling, so.... I need another option.  

After more research, I found out about a different kind of surgery with awesome success rates.  Instead of burning the tissue with endometriosis, they cut it out, cutting deeper than the affected tissue to avoid any lingering of the disease.  Unfortunately, health care in America kind of sucks and treatment of women-specific diseases sucks even worse, so it looks like this will be hard to get.  It's called specialized excision surgery and most doctors aren't trained for it.  So that's problematic.  I've got a lot more research to do.  

Fun Fact

I slipped on a banana peel once.  I was in the city with my friends, ran to catch up with them, and slipped on a peel.  I hadn't realized that wasn't something that only happened in cartoons.....

__
Charlotte 




No comments:

Post a Comment