Wednesday, April 29, 2015

The blogs you love

Every time I write a semi-popular post (yesterday it was this one) I get a few questions, usually from friends, about what other blogs and sites I read.  I also get asked which of my own posts are my favorite.  

The latter is easy to answer.  I have a whole page on it!   But if I had to pick a "top three," at this exact moment, I'd probably pick: 

1. Open Letter to Mindy Kaling ! Forever. 

But enough about me.  More about..... not me.  

The first question is harder to answer because I don't know what the asker is looking for and I have anxiety about disappointing people I'm never sure if I should limit the topic.  If someone asks me for blog suggestions after reading a post related to racism, I feel like I should narrow my answer to that.  But the blogs I read most often are... mom blogs.  (I'm basically 24 and single and childless so that makes sense.)  So.  I thought maybe I should just have an all-inclusive categorized list?  To please the masses, you know.  Because my five friends qualify as "the masses." 


That picture is completely unrelated but every post needs a picture... I was checking out this book of Hubble images and when I turned to this page I immediately saw the Grim.  So now I'm getting all Trelawney-level paranoid.  (If you've not read HP, apologies.)

Combination Blogs
Great category, Char.  
These blogs don't necessarily fall into one category.  They write about numerous things - parenthood, religion, home decor, books, society, etc.  


Some people call Bey and Jay the power couple and want to follow along with them, but I prefer the Stewarts. I'm like a groupie/wannabee friend. They write about Catholicism, parenting, food (fooooood), and books.  I love and can relate to at least three of those things. 

They both seem like friendly, kind, and loving people.  I don't know how they simultaneously come off as incredibly cool (tattoos? Harry Potter?) and incredibly religious/devoted but they do.  Really, I'm down to read anything written by people who love books and food, and the Stewarts love and write about both. On a more serious note, I've mentioned the good that's come from reading Carrots in this post.  

I don't really prefer one blog over the other, but since this post is meant to give suggestions, I guess I'd suggest you go over to Carrots right now if you love all things Harry Potter (newest favorite HP post on her site) and to Daniel Bearman if you enjoy reading comments on society (like this).  To me, Carrots tends to be heavy on books and lifestyle (I've learned a lot about living out faith from this blog) and Bearman posts often read like essays.  I highly suggest following both.  Again, especially if you love Harry Potter.  

*Also, once a week, Haley from Carrots writes a post and shares other links from around the web.  I love when bloggers do this.  So if you'd enjoy having a weekly list of great pieces to read, that's another reason to follow her. 


I stumbled across this blog while reading about endometriosis.  Kelle, the blogger behind the site, writes beautifully and truthfully about endo and I always find it helpful.  But she also shares snippets of her family life, quotes from kids at work, and gorgeous pictures.  I love her blog.  She doesn't post as often as some of the other blogs on this list, but I think it's totally worth following her.  

4. Cakies

I don't remember how or when I found this blog.  It could probably fit into the mom blog category, but the blogger behind it, Rubyellen, also shares crafts (though many are kid-centered, but I used some at work so they were helpful), sewing, recipes, and probably my favorite - trees.  She and her family grow fruits and vegetables in their yard and by the looks of it, they are hardcore. 

Also also also!  While my style is very different from hers, Rubyellen shares a lot of wonderful home decor-ish posts.  I love being inspired by them and adapting them to my own style.  

(Bonus points, like Haley from Carrots, there's a weekly - I think! - post sharing links from around the web!  Always terrific.)

It's a cool blog to follow if you've got kids, want kids, or are really interested in planting trees.  Or if you love crafts.


If I remember correctly, I was introduced to this blog by a friend because "hey this blogger also has red hair."  Because you know, that's what reading blogs is about.  

But I'm glad for the introduction because I enjoy this blog.  I read it every now and then.  Emily shares hair tutorials that I'd love to try if I wasn't absolutely miserable at doing anything other than washing, brushing, and throwing mousse into my hair.  She also shares little tidbits about her sweet family.  My favorite posts from her are the ones that go something like, "50 things to do on (fill in the blank)" The general feel I get from her blog is a laid-back happy one.  So if you're into the casual, short, fun read - this could be a good fit. 

Book Blogs
Sometimes I find blogs by perusing Pinterest, other times via Facebook, but sometimes....... well sometimes I'm bored and alone and so I google "blogs about..."  Which is how I found these.
   

For starters, I love the alliteration in the blog's name.  

And because I like to focus on substance..... wow, I love the graphics/theme of the blog!  

But also.  I love most book reviews, but what I really like about this blog is that she gives an overall rating and quick synopsis of the books at the end of each post.  If I'm feeling lazy, I can skip to that and decide if I want to read the rest of the review.  If that sounds like something you'd be into, you should check out the blog.


A lot of the books on Katie's blog aren't books I'd necessarily read.  Is it weird to love her blog anyway?  I mean certainly I'm not against the books she writes about, they're just not the ones I'd wander over to in Barnes and Noble.  

That said.  I loooove reading book reviews.  I especially love reading book reviews by folks who love writing them, and you can tell she does.  I can recognize a good book review because they look like the exact opposite of what my own book reviews look like.  (Except for my thoughts on The Twelve Tribes of Hattie.  I liked writing that one.)  

I'd recommend her blog to anyone who loves reading about books, especially if you're a big fan of YA or contemporary. 

DIY Blogs
Being a bit of DIY expert myself (L.O.L.), I love reading DIY blogs.  And drooling over them.

1. Bower Power

Katie Bower writes about her family a lot and I enjoy those posts a lot, but I'd mainly classify her blog as a DIY/home decor blog.  Some of her tutorials are aimed more toward people with a house (which makes total sense, I'm just not one of them.) and I stow those away in memory for a later day yearrrrs from now.

But!  There are also frequent posts of easier projects that are doable for renters... or for people currently living with family.....

(This is a favorite!)

2. Go for 30

Okay, so this isn't really a DIY blog, but I tend to gravitate toward Chelsea's diy posts and I love them.  This is my favorite.

3. Young House Love

Ahhhh.  The bloggers behind YHL, John and Sherry, no longer post BUT they've kept up all their old projects and I find them so useful.  I'm not going to link a favorite because I just cannot choose.  But if you're into little DIY projects or huge DIY projects, I'd hop over to their site.

Catholic Blogs
Okay so I read a lot of Catholic blogs and sites.  I'm not going to list all of them, but some that I read are Catholic Exchange, House Unseen, Catholic All Year, A Knotted Life, The Fike Life.. and well, many more.  But, most of the bloggers are in wwwaaayyy different stages in life than I am so I can't always relate, so I don't follow them as closely as others.

But one Catholic blog I adore is

1. Held by His Pierced Hands

Meg writes about everything.  Saints, popes, current events.  And she does so beautifully.  Sometimes I'm just inspired by her posts (like this one) (and this one) but often, I learn a lot.  She doesn't post frequently, but I'm one of those stalk-the-archives kind of people so I enjoy her blog nonetheless.  One night I stayed up reading this entire series on Jesus.  (Bye, chances of sleep.)

Mom Blogs
This will make my friends think I'm lame.

Okay so probably half of the blogs I listed above qualify as "mom blogs" but the one that really stands out to me is

1. Camp Patton

Oh my gosh.  Grace from Camp Patton is hilarious and when I grow up I want to write just like her.  (I'm already grown up so... pipe dream.)

Again, I have no kids.  I basically raised my seven younger siblings and had *not the best* upbringing so for a while I was convinced I never wanted kids.  But then I wasn't 19 anymore and started changing my mind, and then I started reading online blogs and really changed my mind.  But, I digress.

My favorite posts are probably the ones with funny quotes from her kids and husband.  Their children have what seems like a natural aptitude for sarcasm.  I can appreciate all of her posts, and she probably paints the best picture of parenthood out there.  It's messy and hard, but the joy shines through her posts.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that the blogger, Grace, has written numerous time about her fear of predators and I think she's called it irrational but as someone who checked under her bed and in all the closets in the apartments five time every night while on antidepressants, I appreciate the camaraderie.  (pssst don't worry, it's down to once a night.)  So if you have the same fear, hop on over and feel like you're not alone.

Her writing is like a quick, witty banter.  It's got the feel of a kind of hybrid of CJ from The West Wing and Lorelai from Gilmore Girls.  I am not exaggerating when I say Grace could write about diapers and I'd still enjoy the post just because her style of writing is superb.

This post is getting long.

Okay, so, lastly... where do I read about 
Current events and social justice?  

Mainly, I rely on my friends who are smarter than me to share blog posts and news links.  That's honestly where I get most of my reading.  However!  Two of the sites I go to frequently (both thanks to the recommendation of the same person) are:

1. Democracy Now!
2. The Militant

Really all I can say about both of those sites is that they're reliable and seem like very honest reporting to me, and I appreciate that.

So there we have it.  I might have forgotten some, but these are the blogs and sites I frequent.  Of them all, my top three favorite are Carrots for Michaelmas, Camp Patton, and Daniel Bearman: Acts of Idiot Praise.

Bonus: I don't know where this would fit but you all know I have a love of baby names (examples 1, 2, and 3), and I recently came across this blog and love it.  Hop over if you also love names.

__
Charlotte

No comments:

Post a Comment