Monday, February 23, 2015

Weekling: W. 17

For previous posts in this series, go here: Weeklings



Happenings


I'm supposed to post this on either Saturday or Sunday.  I effed up.  I guess this gets me out of having to write something more difficult today though.  Ah, no need for thinking.

Getting a job did not happen this week.  I'm starting to go a little nutso without a job or any of my friends.  No bueno.

I did get a new phone, finally.  I've had to switch phones about four times in the last year, so hopefully this will be the last time for a while.  The one I had been using wasn't stellar.  So far, this one is.  I can take fancy pictures.  For example:

The very fanciest.
That picture?  Torture.  I gave up Coke for Lent, like a moron.  Hold me.

It snowed here (Hey!  It started as I was wrapping up my last weekling.) and iced over and only melted away today.  If I'm in the south, I at least want good weather.  Ugh.

Basically nothing else happened this week.  What a life.

Thankful for

New phone.  This new-to-me blog.  Ginger Ale (especially during aforementioned period of no Coke).  My friends.  This book.

Books I'm reading now 

Still working on Red China Blues.  And re-read Anne of Green Gables.  This is why I never finish my book lists.

Random




You know how Facebook has targeted ads?  And how they're creepy as Hell?  Wellllll, THIS ad was on my feed the other day.  Thanks, Facebook.  Mean.  No thanks. 

Want to know a great rice recipe?  Maybe everyone knows this recipe, but on the off chance it's unknown, here goes:

2 cups white rice (does not matter what size grain)
4-ish cups chicken broth (you'll never go back to using water) I sometimes use a little more than 4.
1 yellow onion
1/3 - 1/2 stick of butter (you do you)

Then just follow normal rice rules.  Bring to a quick boil, lower that bad boy down to a 1 or 2, cover, and let it be for a few minutes (the box says 15-20, but I don't think I've ever let it sit for less than 25, and I've seen others cook it for up to 45, so... experiment).

Devour.

To-do

Still, get a job.



 Also, I have been saying I want to write a book for at least four years.  This week, I want to at least make some sort of plan. 

Links worth looking at

Healing in Post-War Gaza  - The Washington Post
I'm glad that they published this.  I can't understand how anyone would argue that Israel is completely justified in what they do. 

The Science of Redheads - IFLScience 
We're NOT going extinct!  Yay.  

This is sweet.  

"There is obviously nothing inherently wrong with saying that “Muslim lives matter,” but contextually, it’s being used parallel to #BlackLivesMatter — it’s meant to evoke the same concepts, using the same kind of language. This appropriation of a movement is counterproductive and frankly unfair to both the Black and Muslim communities. We should not be blending together two complex, multifaceted issues for the sake of convenience. It’s a reductive move that simplifies both struggles, and it only contributes to erasing the very real, very dangerous implications that Islamophobia specifically holds for Muslims."  (I've heard folks suggest using #justiceformuslims instead.)

Rewriting the Future - BitchMedia
My friend shared this and I love it.  "We started the anthology with the belief that all organizing is science fiction. When we talk about a world without prisons; a world without police violence; a world where everyone has food, clothing, shelter, quality education; a world free of white supremacy, patriarchy, capitalism, heterosexism; we are talking about a world that doesn’t currently exist. But collectively dreaming up one that does means we can begin building it into existence." 

I think it's great that this man was given a car and money, but charity isn't enough and definitely doesn't fix the greater problem. 

This is amazing and I want a horizontal fridge. 

I'm being a troll here, because I'm only sharing it to say I don't love it.  I mean, the "after" is perfectly nice, but it's getting old.  The white with shades of grey, brown, and blue with just plants as color is getting old.  I don't know.  I like the before picture better.  

This was a nice read. 

Schools shouldn't be run like businesses, and business language shouldn't be applied to education.  On point. 

Okay, it just hit me that I'm annoyed by the title (the article deals with much more than just her boyfriend).  But this was an interesting read.  I'm a pro NASA and publicly funded Mars mission person, and this is for a privately funded mission so that also annoys me but I'm ignoring it all to look at this woman's perspective.  You should give it a read. 

Bonus

I cannot even believe this is happening, but it's starting to snow.  I think maybe I should NOT write these, because the only time it's snowed here are the two times I've written these damn posts.  GO AWAY, SNOW. 


__


Charlotte

No comments:

Post a Comment