Sunday, November 1, 2015

link love


Hey guys. It's official my favorite time of year now that Halloween is over. Thanksgiving! Christmas! New Year! I'm getting excited. 

But let's not hate on Halloween too hard. It can be fun. I got a laugh out of these costumes (and especially loved all the Rugrats costumes). And I'm putting these Harry Potter costumes ideas in my pocket for next year. I don't even remember the last time I dressed up for Halloween, and as much as I don't love the holiday, if I'm in Albany next year I might just go ahead and have fun. *shudder*

Speaking of Harry Potter, I didn't like this article. Prince William hasn't even read the books and you're gonna tell me he loves HP as much as me? Nahhh. But I did find this article about JK Rowling's position on Israel interesting. Apparently she got a lot of heat for signing a petition encouraging people NOT to boycott Israel, but then she used a HP story to say that she thinks Israel (as a state) does horrific things but that she doesn't think cutting off communication with them will solve anything. I can respect that. Also - really enjoyed this blog post about Harry Potter, Hallowmas, and our outlook on death over at Carrots for Michaelmas. Definitely recommend reading that one.  

Okay, so, things other than Harry Potter. 

Buzzfeed featured stories from five astronauts and they are terrifying. (The stories, not the astronauts.) You know I love space but also, space is dangerous. 

I'm dying to try this recipe this week! But it worries me. It's not cheap, and if I don't like it... well that would suck. I'd probably eat it because I'd feel bad wasting money, but I'd be pissed that I spent the money every time I eat it! Fingers crossed it's delicious.

This woman's story about egg donation was sad but touching. 

I may or may not be obsessed with Kate Middleton's style, and so I *may or may not* have loved this post - let's all go buy these dresses!

An important reminder.

I've mentioned that I have been thinking about getting a HP-inspired tattoo for a while. Liz showed me this terrific article of book-inspired tattoos and they're giving me great ideas! I'm not completely sure what I want yet, but I do know I want it to be subtle.

This was a terrific article about why we really need to stop blaming the Black Lives Matter movement for police deaths. "While every single death of a police officer is tragic, the nearly seven years of the Obama administration have been the safest seven years for police during any two-term presidency in our lifetime." 

Mixed opinions on this NYT article. Glad that extreme poverty across the globe is decreasing, but also - we need to talk about poverty more. And extreme poverty isn't the only problem. There's no excuse for people living paycheck to paycheck, either. I just don't want people to read that article and then fall into contentedness thinking that the world is just fine.  

By now you probably know I'm a big fan of Gretchen Rubin. Check this out! 

Loved this interview with Lauren Graham (one of my favorites)! Can't wait for the new episodes. 

I've said I want backyard chickens before (for eggs), and this pretty much solidified that desire. That hop at the end! 

And finally a big thanks to everyone who read and enjoyed my post about saints' names. It quickly became my most popular post and has been shared a few times and people have been so kind and fun about it! :) <3 

Til next week. 
__
Charlotte       

No comments:

Post a Comment