Thursday, May 19, 2016

Person: Alison

P sure she'll hate me for this, since I cropped myself out.
I don't even know how to begin writing about my friend Alison. (Sometimes I call her "Palison" since she's my pal.) I usually don't like to play favorites among my friends, but... there's something about Alison that makes me instantly like her. I love all of my close friends, obviously, but I can't think of Alison and not smile. I'm sure she'll love reading that. (She's probably puking in her mouth.) 


We get along astoundingly well considering how we've always been at different stages in life. She's a couple years older. I was like a horrible student who never went to class when we met, and she was not. Now she's married with a good job and I'm over here fumbling around trying just to function. And yet, we click.

Not the best quality ever, but it'll do.
I think Alison finds me more amusing than any of my other friends do. (I could be wrong and maybe she's just being nice to me to preserve my feelings?) She laughs at most of my jokes. If they aren't terrifically funny, she at least gives me a look that tells me she appreciates the effort (unless it's at an inappropriate moment). I find her funny, too, but in a much subtler way. She's less of an outright dick than I am. 

I had a surgery a few years back and a few of my friends came along. She was the only one (I think?) who didn't do a-hole things like tell me I was gonna die from the air bubbles in my IV (I'm looking at you, Liz). Also, I..... vaguely remember needing help getting dressed after surgery. I even vaguely-er remember being like, "No! I don't want help getting dressed!" As Alison and another friend (if I'm remembering correctly - I was full of drugs) helped me get dressed. It doesn't sound funny, but my fuzzy memory of it is hilarious. 

She's sort of selfless but it's annoying as fuck because, like, she won't tell me her birthday! I believe it's in June, but I'm not sure (if I had to guess, I'd say June 25th.. so it's probably February 3rd). I LOVE SENDING PEOPLE GIFTS AND/OR CARDS FOR THEIR BIRTHDAYS. IT IS ONE OF THE WAYS I SHOW MY LOVE. AND THIS B IS MAKING IT SO I CANNOT DO THAT. I should send her a birthday card once a week just to annoy her. 

I am definitely going to start doing that. 

But yeah, she also has like zero pictures of just her on Facebook (other than ones where she's mid-running), which is why I had to crop that photo up there. Here's the original: 


This picture was taken on my birthday a couple of years ago. It sums up our relationship unbelievably well. 

Al is the classiest person I know. I think. I'd call her style simple-elegant. (Yes, Alison? Do you agree?) She'd probably be just fine having Kate Middleton's closet. Also, and yes, I know, external beauty is not all that matters, but I'd be remiss to not mention that she's annoying gorgeous. I've told her this before an she usually rolls her eyes. One time after she hung out with some of my friends, I asked a friend what she thought of Alison, and the response literally was, "She seems nice. Also, I have never seen such a perfect face." She is not the only friend who has had that kind of response after I've introduced them to Al. I'm sure Alison is mad at me for even writing that (or at least annoyed/blushing/whatever), but it's my blog and I'll say what I want. One day she and her husband will end up having babies that come out six feet tall with the faces of porcelain dolls.

Really adore the fact that I look pregnant in every picture we have together. -_-
When we first met, I liked her but also assumed she'd be condescending. I don't know why? Maybe because she and my then-roommate (which is how we met) asked me a bunch of questions and told me they had stalked me online before I moved in. (They also told me they thought I'd be awful - prob why I assumed she'd look at me with fiery scorn.) But it turned out that we got along well and she doesn't (to my knowledge) judge me for any of the things. 

We had this fun thing going where we wrote to each other all the time (old school) but I dropped the ball on that after the last letter. oy. Gotta get my act together.  

Before her wedding we were all at her house and her parents, who are very nice, marked our heights on the wall. This gives me such an immense feeling of satisfaction for some reason. I think it's because my brain is all, "Haha, Alison, I'm on your wall now. You're friends with me forever now. No escaping it." 

Over all, she's pleasant, but not in a bubbly way (like Stephanie). She's sarcastic and humorously cynical, but when it comes down to it she is very supportive. I mean, like I said, she helped an annoying drugged person get dressed after surgery. She can't not be a somewhat nice person. 

My friend Liz and I have joked before that Liz's boyfriend, Sean, is like the older brother I never wanted. Well Alison is like the older sister I did want. We probably don't talk as much as we should. Next week, when I send her the first of 52 birthday cards she's getting, I'll mention it. 

xoxo
____
Charlotte  

No comments:

Post a Comment