Tuesday, June 24, 2014

DIY Map Coasters .....for the Lazy Person


We've lived in this apartment for about seven months, and I just got around to making coasters.  For a while there I had been eyeing a few diy coaster projects but wasn't sure which I liked most.  It came down to chalkboard coasters (as seen on The Sweetest Occasion) and map coasters (as seen on The Country Chic Cottage).  Obviously, I went with the map coasters.

I read the directions from that website as well as this website to get an idea of what I needed to do.

The thing is, I'm not the most patient of people.

So I decided spray adhesive was unnecessary.  As was hot glue or super glue, since Mod Podge pretty much has the whole attaching-one-thing-to-another-thing job down.  So I bought eight tiles (from Home Depot for a whopping total of $1.28), threw some Mod Podge on those bad boys, and tried semi-hard to center the map pieces on each one.

(Side note: math and counting centimeters and millimeters and tracing lines to have a perfectly even map square and then perfectly centering each square onto each tile didn't really sound like a ton of fun and guaranteed an extra hour, so I opted to just rip some pieces of map and somewhat center them on the tiles.  I actually like the rough, torn look more than the even ones in those links, so everything worked out.)

After two coats of Mod Podge and then some of the acrylic spray, I was good to go.  Also, you don't need perfect felt or cork on the tiles.  Mod Podge-ing a square of felt on the back should work fine.

Moral of the story: Screw the long, arduous process that requires effort and just use Mod Podge for everything.  It turns out just as lovely.  They look great, they're smooth, and there's nary an air bubble of which to speak.

Enjoy an obnoxious amount of photographic evidence.
















 
This may be my favorite DIY project yet.


__
Charlotte


No comments:

Post a Comment