Monday, June 2, 2014

Weekling: W.4

For previous posts in this series, go here: Weeklings

Happenings


I know I've described the last two weeks as a mix of good and bad, so it's lame to do that for this week, too, but... this week was a mixed bag.  I lost my job for reasons related to health (all types of irony since my job was signing people up for health insurance...).  So that's slightly annoying.  I'm super nervous because I have a gazillion health things I need to take care of, and in two months when I am off the insurance plan, I really don't know what I'm going to do.  Probably I'll just end up moping and being like this: 


But, I should also try focusing on some of the good things about losing my job that way I don't wallow in misery 24/7.  One, I hated the job.  I liked that I got to talk to people a lot, but signing people up for mediocre health plans that are still too expensive wasn't fun.  It made me feel really, really bad.  Two, commuting an hour to two hours BOTH WAYS to get to a job that made me feel guilty was a major bummer.  It was expensive and worse, it meant I had no social life.  While going out with friends isn't exactly the number one priority at all times, working from 6:30am to 7:30pm is just not healthy.  Now that I don't need to do that, I have time to focus on other important things, like writing, getting back into the political work I like, and exercising (because a 23 year old shouldn't be gasping for air after walking up a flight of stairs).  It means I can make more time to go to daily mass or to protests or to meetings.. you get what I'm saying.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not dismissing the seriousness of unemployment, but while I'm looking for a job I'm going to take care of myself.  And I'm going to make sure that when I do get a job, it won't be one that consumes all of my time so that I can continue taking care of myself. 

Thankful for 

The two months of health insurance I still have left. 

Books I'm reading now 

Nothing new here.  smh.  Still working on The Twelve Tribes of Hattie, The Great Divorce, Divergent, and Little Women.  But hey, now that I have more time maybe I'll actually finish one. 

Best Kid Quotes

"Hiya, fellas!  I'm a big, fat boomer!" 
- Nine year old boy.  
???

Random

The Working Families Party endorsed Governor Cuomo for reelection.  Cuomo is basically anti-everything working class people need, so this was pretty pathetic.  This was the reaction the decision elicited from many a supporter: 


But, on the positive side, a lot of people are angry with the decision and if we take that anger and use it, it can turn into something wonderful and powerful.  So there's hope.  

If you don't believe me, just listen to Captain Hook.

To-do 

Instead of the usual links of cool projects, I'm going to write an actual list of things I need to do with the apartment/furniture and put it on this here blog.  Fun, exciting stuff, right? 

Links worth looking at 

A little feminism: 

A super on-point description of child abuse: 

Alan Rickman thanking JK Rowling for Harry Potter: 

The destruction of public education: 

Different but not unrelated: 

Some Pope Francis action: 

Maya Angelou: 
"There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
"I’ll never forget what she said: “Now tell me this — do you love the boy?” I said no. “Does he love you?” I said no. “Then there’s no point in ruining three lives. We are going to have our baby!”
What a knockout she was as a mother of teens. Very loving. Very accepting. Not one minute of recrimination. And I never felt any shame."

And an example of really wonderful parenting: 

Bonus



I'm doing an abrupt end here because tired.


__

Charlotte






No comments:

Post a Comment